What is the Change in Deceleration Rate in Relation to Velocity of Crashes?

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
mkneisley
First Name: Mason
Last Name: Kneisley

What is the Change in Deceleration Rate in Relation to Velocity of Crashes?

Post by mkneisley »

Hello,

I am trying to estimate the deceleration rate of a truck that had an offset collision with the trailer of a semi-truck. It is presumed that both vehicles were going 60-65 MPH. I have looked into a NHTSA crash test report of a similar vehicle for the subject truck, and I have calculated the deceleration rate for that crash test, but it was conducted at 35 MPH. I have also tried to search the web, but I haven't found anything yet.

Is there a relationship between the deceleration rate of the crash time period and impact velocity of the vehicle? For example, maybe deceleration rate is linearly proportional to velocity.

Thank you for your time,
MK

mchenrysoftware
First Name: brian
Last Name: mchenry

Re: What is the Change in Deceleration Rate in Relation to Velocity of Crashes?

Post by mchenrysoftware »

Whereas i was hoping someone would join in so i don't monopolize the discussions, its been a month and you've gotten no response.
So here's a quick first pass:
:
You ask:
  • Is there a relationship between the deceleration rate of the crash time period and impact velocity of the vehicle? For example, maybe deceleration rate is linearly proportional to velocity
Quick response: NO.

See Which includes the proof that...
  • the structural damage produced by a given speed change of a vehicle in a non-sideswipe collision is independent of the speed range that it occurred
for additional details on your question and our answer

brian
Brian McHenry, McHenrySoftware.com
NEW!! LEASE pricing of msmac3D Software!! 3D Crash Reconstruction and Simulation Software.

mkneisley
First Name: Mason
Last Name: Kneisley

Re: What is the Change in Deceleration Rate in Relation to Velocity of Crashes?

Post by mkneisley »

Thanks for your help Brian. I will look at the sources you provided.