QUESTION: Positive Sign on Delta-V

This forum is for the open, public discussion of the Crash Data Retrieval Tool or Event Data Recorder technology. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site and not intended for direct CDR Tool User technical or analytical support.
crashgyal
First Name: Heather
Last Name: Lake

QUESTION: Positive Sign on Delta-V

Post by crashgyal »

Hello,
Can you explain what it means if you have a positive delta-v and the data limitations state this indicates Forward - I guess motion. Does that mean this was a frontal crash or the person rear-ended someone?

Thank you for any response.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 8.38.20 PM.png

Bob Anderson
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Anderson

Re: QUESTION: Positive Sign on Delta-V

Post by Bob Anderson »

Newton's 2nd Law can be expressed as: F = m * delta-v/delta-t

Assuming that mass and delta-t are relatively constant, you can see that Force and delta-V are proportional and have the same sign or polarity.

So, if the forward direction is positive. Then, a positive delta-V corresponds with an impact force directed in the positive direction, which is a rear-end impact.

Conversely, a frontal impact has a negatively directed force, which decreases your speed, or produces a negative delta-V.

The positive x-direction is forward in both SAE and ISO sign conventions, so as far as I am aware, all current EDR reported delta-v's will have this same sign convention.
Bob Anderson
Tempe, Arizona

crashgyal
First Name: Heather
Last Name: Lake

Re: QUESTION: Positive Sign on Delta-V

Post by crashgyal »

Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time greatly.