Vehicle vs Bicycle

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
nseisel
First Name: Noah
Last Name: Eisel

Vehicle vs Bicycle

Post by nseisel »

I have a question that may pose some debate:

I have a vehicle vs. bicycle crash. The impact was a blunt force impact. The bicycle basically projected directly outward from the vehicle into a ditch off of the right side of the road. The bicyclist had a head strike on the windshield and was projected outward from the vehicle as well. Neither the bicycle nor the bicyclist rolled over the vehicle nor made any secondary impacts with the vehicle. I was able to map and locate the path of travel for both the bicycle and bicyclist to the point of rest. At the moment of impact, a blood splatter was projected outward from the bicyclist and landed on the roadway. I do not have much roadway nor debris evidence from this impact. I also have no reason to believe that the bicycle nor the vehicle were off of the roadway prior to impact. The number one issue with this crash is where the actual impact occurred. I am able to use the path of travel for the bicyclist and the bicycle to get a general idea of where the impact occurred, but due to the lack of roadway evidence, I am unable to determine where exactly on the roadway the crash occurred.

Now to the question. If you can imagine, because the impact was a blunt force impact (meaning the bicycle and bicyclist basically crush to their point of maximum engagement, and then use the remaining energy and force from the impact to project themselves directly outward from the vehicle). So if you draw a straight line through the path of travel for the bicycle and a straight line through the path of travel for the bicyclist, the angles represented by both of these lines are very similar. Meaning they were both projected outward at a similar angle. My question is in relation to that blood splatter. As I said, the blood splatter is on the roadway; however, is it plausible that the blood was ejected from the bicyclist at the moment of impact in a similar angle of trajectory as the angle for the bicycle and bicyclist? I explained that as descriptively as I could.

uwef_de
First Name: Uwe
Last Name: Fuerbeth

Re: Vehicle vs Bicycle

Post by uwef_de »

Regarding a bicyclist's throw distance as sum of flight distance and sliding distance (into final rest position), could your blood splatter mark the POI of the cyclist after flight phase on the roadway? Or was the blood splatter produced during first aid measures or transport of the injured cyclist into the ambulance?

nseisel
First Name: Noah
Last Name: Eisel

Re: Vehicle vs Bicycle

Post by nseisel »

The blood splatter was noticed before the body was moved. I am thinking the blood splatter is a result of the distance traveled from the point of impact.