I have Doubts...

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
Rv2021589
First Name: Ray
Last Name: Vannie

I have Doubts...

Post by Rv2021589 »

It’s a t bone accident crossing a curved road. The Vehicles are a 2006 Ford Taurus (No Data) and a 2020 Lexus RX350 that I have EDR data only, no TSS Data. I’m told there was only one witness, the driver of the Lexus. The Unofficial statement was: “She was just there”. There is evidence at the scene that wasn’t documented. It’s a rapid acceleration mark starting midway through a left turn. I don’t know if the Taurus was cut off midway through the intersection or not, but I’m sure somebody on here would be able to tell based on the angles and data.
I’m a Technician with FoMoco since 1986 but I’m not a physicist. My mother died that day. I have all the photos from the scene as well as all the data captured from the Lexus including the binary. I can redact and share but I don’t want to violate and site rules. I’m looking for a professional second opinion to put my many unanswered questions to rest. Thank You
Attachments
Lexus_Redacted.pdf
(158.34 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
1000.JPG
999.jpg
SKID Angle.jpg

mchenrysoftware
First Name: brian
Last Name: mchenry

Re: I have Doubts...

Post by mchenrysoftware »

i'm sorry for your loss
if you have a scaled diagram (the police should have measured to each of those evidence markings)
and also the police report/crash reconstruction
where is the scene (so a google map/aerial can be obtained)
we can take a informal look and let you know what we think/what additional items you may need
also see this for additional information you should collect brian
Brian McHenry, McHenrySoftware.com
NEW!! LEASE pricing of msmac3D Software!! 3D Crash Reconstruction and Simulation Software.

Rv2021589

Post by Rv2021589 »

I think she might have been cut off mid way through...IDK
All of the fluid trail was from the Black Lexus, none from the Ford
I can't figure out the tire marks or where they came from.
The rapid acceleration mark beginning midway into the intersection from the opposite side of the Grey Taurus isn't marked on the diagram.
I was told it wasn't relative because it wasn't from the the two vehicles in the crash.
I believe it would be relative if the Taurus was cut off by the vehicle that made that mark.

Thank you
Attachments
0Z9A1664 (2).JPG
Composite a.jpg
1010.jpg
0102red_gg.jpg

mchenrysoftware

can you post or email higher resolution photos and diagrams
can't read the notes, etc
Brian
use this email: (so i know where it came from)
fromcrashforum@mchenrysoftware.com
NEW!! LEASE pricing of msmac3D Software!! 3D Crash Reconstruction and Simulation Software.

Rv2021589

Post by Rv2021589 »

Email sent Brian, Thank You

mchenrysoftware

i see the pdf has 4 images
ok i will take a look and get back to your in day or so

mchenrysoftware

Sorry for the delay in looking at this
do you have pictures of the damage to each vehicle?
that will tell the impact configuration so please post or email.

mchenrysoftware

Here's an extremely preliminary look at things indicates Lexus ~50 MPH, Taurus ~18
couple items needed to refine:
  • actual weights of vehicles?
    • were either carrying anything other than passengers and then how many and approx weights?
  • better definition of the data/details
    • the diagrams are very poor resolution so just did a quick look
      the roadway i looked up on google and there is some 3D: did the police scan the area? can you get a copy?
  • better definition of the actual damage
    • pictures? measurements? the offset of the Lexus striking the Taurus is important
  • More details on the momentum analysis by police? (see below)
    • it appears to attribute most/all of the momentum across the road to the Taurus
      Which at first glance would indicate the Taurus might have run the stop sign
      The speed required >> speed which could be attained in the distance from a stop at the stop bar
      However depending on weight differences and how much the Lexus swerved to left, much of that momentum across the road could have been contributed to by the Lexus
Attachments
momentum analysis by police.png

Rv2021589

Post by Rv2021589 »

• actual weights of vehicles?
o were either carrying anything other than passengers and then how many and approx weights?
Taurus=Driver 147lbs, Trunk=approx. 50lbs, no passengers
Lexus=Driver approx 225-250lbs (Visual), no passengers

• better definition of the data/details
o the diagrams are very poor resolution so just did a quick look
the roadway i looked up on google and there is some 3D: did the police scan the area? can you get a copy?
They took measurements but I don't know if they scanned anything, they're not talking to me anymore without an attorney. I copied the image into fusion360 and calibrated it to the distance legend bar on it. Fusion can then give all the measurements from the images to whatever you want.

• better definition of the actual damage
o pictures? measurements? the offset of the Lexus striking the Taurus is important
Lexus RX350
Wheelbase 109.8"
Tread-width Front 64.4" Rear 64"
Turning Circle Curb to curb 19.4 feet
Steering Turns (lock to lock) 2.7
Angle @ -.25 TRG, 55.5deg

• More details on the momentum analysis by police? (see below)
I created that image on fusion360 by overlaying the EDR data, It's my best analysis as a mechanic with a trig math level max. I didn't get any analysis from them, only the PDF pics I sent you in the last email. I don't believe they even did any...

o it appears to attribute most/all of the momentum across the road to the Taurus
Which at first glance would indicate the Taurus might have run the stop sign
The speed required >> speed which could be attained in the distance from a stop at the stop bar
However depending on weight differences and how much the Lexus swerved to left, much of that momentum across the road could have been contributed to by the Lexus

I pretty confident she stopped (Common rt for her), then possibly pulled out in front of the Lexus.
The visibility from that side isn't obstructed, It's a tough intersection and you have to pull out fast to get across safely. I drove it and @ midway across I was at 15-20mph.

I sent You some Images in an Email
The red square is the Lexus front plate contact and the Lexus RF wheel contact
Thank You Brian
Attachments
0Z9A1752.JPG
0Z9A1754.JPG
Lexus RF Wheel contact.jpg
Lexus license plate contact.jpg

Rv2021589