Replaced airbags, possible malfunction?

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
Chris quammen
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Quammen

Replaced airbags, possible malfunction?

Post by Chris quammen »

If a vehicle's airbag system was once repaired or replaced, and another accident occurs, the passenger side airbag did not deploy. Could it be possible for drivers side airbag not fully deploy?

Rusty Haight
First Name: W. R. Rusty
Last Name: Haight

Re: Replaced airbags, possible malfunction?

Post by Rusty Haight »

I'll start off by saying "anything is possible" BUT... Let me tackle your question in parts.

First, if the system was PROPERLY repaired and airbags and sensors including the airbag control module were replaced with the proper replacement part(s) (where appropriate) after a crash with a deployment, I think it unlikely that, in a subsequent crash which qualified for a deployment, you'd see a malfunction. Again, anything's possible, but I think the chances are really very slim.

Your question also askes about a driver's bag not "fully" deploying. If the driver's bag is commanded for deployment and the airbag module in the steering wheel is a factory/OE replacement part, deployment is a "go" or "no go" kind of thing: it deploys or doesn't.

Unless - back to the "anything is possible" thing - there's something actually physically wrong with the airbag itself at the ignitor, detonator or gas generant, you get a "full" deployment" or you get nothing depending, of course, on whether or not it's commanded for a deployment in a given case.
- Rusty Haight
Collision Safety Institute