NHTSA NVS R&D Signal Analysis Software

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
masoudm
First Name: Masoud
Last Name: Mashkournia

NHTSA NVS R&D Signal Analysis Software

Post by masoudm »

Hello All,
I'm looking to install the Signal Analysis Software from NHTSA: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Research/Databases ... dows.print

It is giving me trouble when I go to run any of the programs (it immediately crashes). I am running windows 7 Professional. Anyone have any tips/tricks to getting the program to run?
Thanks,

Masoud Mashkournia
SAMAC Engineering

actar670
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: McNally

Re: NHTSA NVS R&D Signal Analysis Software

Post by actar670 »

I have not tried to use this software, but it seems with many Windows 7 applications the solution is to "Run as Administrator". You might try that first. If that is not available as a right-click option on the shortcut icon, you can usually find it by right-clicking on the executable file in the root directory.

If that doesn't work, you could always follow the link at the bottom of the download page and see if someone at NHTSA-NRD can help you.
Bruce McNally
McNally & Associates ARS, LLC
41 Champlin Ridge Road
Rochester, NH 03867
Office (603) 516-4560
Web http://mcnallyassociates.com

jsuway
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Suway

Post by jsuway »

I have the same issues on windows 8 and windows 7 machines. Older operating systems should work fine.

I have been working with NHTSA on this issue. If I hear anything I will post here

seanhaight
Site Admin
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Haight

Post by seanhaight »

I have been running into the same issue recently. It worked on my windows 7 laptop last summer, but it seems there is a newer version that closes before it really begins. I hope Jeff can get some answers from NHTSA.

Does anyone have an older version we can try on Windows 7 and Windows 8?

Does anyone have a good lead on similar (free) filtering software?
Sean Haight, PhD

CrashForum.info
Site Administrator
Engineer, ACTAR #2769
Editor, Collision Publishing

jsuway

Post by jsuway »

I was just told that the software will run on 32-bit windows but it will not run on 64-bit windows.

It does not appear that there will be a solution any time soon.

seanhaight
Site Admin
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Haight

Post by seanhaight »

Success! :!:

Since this program worked perfectly last year for the ARC CSI Boot Camp training, I decided to look on web.archive.com for an older version of the software. The current version (as of 4/11/14) is v13.11.20. I was able to find a copy of v12.10.24 on the internet archive. I installed it on my 64-bit Windows 8.1 laptop and it seems to work! So far, I have only tried the BWfilter app in the program suite.

Hope this works for everyone else as well. I am posting the installer file below. Best of luck everyone,
Attachments
VSRsoftware v121024.zip
VSR Software v12.10.24
(10.54 MiB) Downloaded 1024 times
Sean Haight, PhD

CrashForum.info
Site Administrator
Engineer, ACTAR #2769
Editor, Collision Publishing

jsuway

Post by jsuway »

Update:

The latest version of NVS software is the first 64-bit version. I have been told that it will work on a 32-bit operating system, however, it does not appear to be working on 64-bit operating systems.

There were also some bug fixes between 12.10.24 and 13.11.20, but I have been told that there are "no big errors" in 12.10.24.

12.10.24 is a 32-bit only version of the NVS software.

Hopefully NHTSA will get 64-bit operating systems in-house and be able to fix this error in the future, but I will assume this will take awhile, but before that happens, I will be using 12.10.24. Thanks Sean!