Parking lot, fixed vehicle hit by moving vehicle - pics/forensics proof?

This forum is for the open and public discussion of Accident Reconstruction topics. This is open to any registered user of the CrashForum.info site.
Elation
First Name: Susan
Last Name: Reishus

Parking lot, fixed vehicle hit by moving vehicle - pics/forensics proof?

Post by Elation »

My 96 Blazer was hit last Saturday night by someone who told me twice "I didn't even see you" and is telling a different story to the insurance company. I had pulled out a few inches (next to a larger SUV) and was still/fixed, looking back and forth 3-4 x to make sure it was clear to proceed and when turning my head right for a last look, an 04 VW Beetle struck me on the right rear passenger bumper.

I am assuming that from what little I know of physics, if you have a stationary vehicle and a moving vehicle, that the object struck will tend to have more damage (generally speaking). The VW has a few scratches and damage to headlight, plus a slight indentation (where likely she struck my tail pipe), and my bumper is pushed in on the right side.

Checked it and the pics I took, and the bumper isn't torqued at all, only damaged on the side. If I was backing out to turn with perpendicular parking, I think damage from an angle would be evident. From the top of the Blazer bumper there is a rubber grid you can step up on and it is completely symmetrical.

Girl was on her cell phone, rushing (as I had seen the top her her car in another lane so know she was going faster than normal to get all the way around to me, boyfriend came out and asked why she was so late and she said she was trying to find a parking space, so I know she was rushing and focused on the pkg. spot across from me, or one two stalls down.

I am upset that she is lying, and the father mouthed off at the scene about how I backed into her, case closed (false statement and he had no info yet). It will go on my insurance and my own daughter will soon drive and I don't need rates upped from an accident that I was honest about and not moving. I tried to tell the police that she was on the phone, said she didn't see me twice and that I was stationary, but didn't get to as he said to let the insurance companies to fight it out.

Can you tell from pictures? If someone can give me an honest and objective opinion, I would appreciate it, as the adjuster I am working with seems new and a bit clueless. Helpful to know if the "proof is in the pudding" with the actual damage. I don't want my daughter thinking that lying pays off (she knows this girl who has a reputation for being dishonest in school).

Sending a few pics, but have more.

Thank you in advance,
Elation
Attachments
Blazer top of bumper same/justified on left and right
Blazer top of bumper same/justified on left and right
'96 Blazer
'96 Blazer
;04 VW Beetle
;04 VW Beetle

jackson621
First Name: Heath
Last Name: Jackson

Re: Parking lot, fixed vehicle hit by moving vehicle - pics/forensics proof?

Post by jackson621 »

In a crash, the collision force is equal and opposite (equal in force and in opposite directions). No one can tell by photographs which vehicle was moving and which was stationary. In a collision, the weaker structure suffers the most damage.

Elation

Post by Elation »

Thank you for the information. In this case the Blazer was stationary and the VW moving, just hoped to substantiate it. Was also figuring that a 96 Blazer might be sturdier than n '04 VW, implying impact. Curious to hear more input.

Elation

actar670
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: McNally

Post by actar670 »

I was getting a stiff neck looking sideways at the photos you uploaded, so I re-uploaded them rotated in the correct orientation.

When two objects collide, the force acting on each object is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. Which object sustains the most damage is a function of the individual strength of the object, not whether one or the other happened to be moving at the time.

In attempting to determine if the SUV was moving or stationary in this collision, you have to look at the damage to each vehicle and see if there are characteristics that would only occur in one scenario or the other. If the SUV was stationary, you would expect front-to-rear damage displacement on the VW, while at the same time see only lateral displacement on the damage to the Chevrolet. If the SUV is backing at the time, one would expect lateral and longitudinal displacement or scuffing on both vehicles.

I can see from two different angles how the damage occurred on the SUV. What is most interesting to me about that damage is the manner in which the rear bumper face bar is displaced, causing an impingement of the rear bumper end cap. Zooming in on the damage, one can see red scuff marks traveling front-to-rear within the displaced portion of the bumper. Both of these observations would indicate a rearward movement of the SUV at the moment of impact.

The photograph you uploaded of the VW gives a more limited view of the damage to that vehicle. The photograph was taken from almost directly over the top of the vehicle, making it difficult to assess where on the normal curvature of the bumper the scuffs marks appear. If I wanted to take the time to find an exemplar to compare the photograph to, I would feel more comfortable with commenting on that damage profile, but it does generally appear consistent with the damage profile seen on the SUV. In other words, both damage profiles appear consistent with the SUV backing at the moment of impact.
Attachments
VW.jpg
GM2.jpg
Blazer photo rotated
Blazer photo rotated
Bruce McNally
McNally & Associates ARS, LLC
41 Champlin Ridge Road
Rochester, NH 03867
Office (603) 516-4560
Web http://mcnallyassociates.com

Elation

Post by Elation »

The SUV was stationary, but the VW was turning to go into a parking spot, either directly across from the SUV, or two spots down. Does that explain the pattern on the SUV (or other vehicle) at all? Apologies for the sideways pics. I can load another view or two of the VW if it would help.

Really appreciate the input.

Elation

Post by Elation »

SSPX0002.jpg
SSPX0001.jpg
Here are a couple of other photos of the VW, if the help.

Thank you,
Elation

Trenton
First Name: Trenton
Last Name: Entwistle

Post by Trenton »

Was the SUV completely inside the parking stall, or was it outside the lines? Up here, regardless of if the vehicle was moving or not, the vehicle that is traveling in a forward motion has the right of way and can expect the driving lane to be clear of obstructions.